Saturday, April 02, 2011

Spinach, skunks and black eyes





So I still have tons to post but we have been having hard-drive and I-photo issues, but here are a couple updates.

After 6 skunks last spring and 3 skunks and 2 cats, broken chicken wire this spring, we decided we needed to fill in the skunk hole den with concrete.

So a couple of our friends came over and helped since Evan and I were wimps and didn't really know what we were doing.

I bought broken stones and rocks from Home Depot for a super cheap discounted price as well as some concrete discounted, gloves, moth ball thingy, and peroxide.

They sprayed peroxide everywhere to kill the smell, then mixed concrete and stuffed that and rock into the hole. They also patched and filled in where the mighty skunks broke under the chicken wire. SO GREAT! and they were just brave enough to do it..I think they secretly wanted to wrestle a skunk and were sad they didn't find one in the hole. The trap is up for a couple days more, and after that I hope we never have to smell a skunk EVER AGAIN!!!


While they were prepping stuff Lucy wanted to play, she ran off the deck steps and face-planted into the corner of the wagon holding some supplies. So sad. It started out like a little scuff, but today it is purple..more pictures to come. She was a trooper. HER FIRST BLACK EYE or any owie like that, she almost made it to 2 without any accidents like that..oh well.



So I follow the Sister's Cafe Blog because I had some amazing salmon from a friend who used their recipe, so now I follow them ALL OF THE TIME!

I had heard of green smoothies and passed some links to recipes on to my sister. She tried them and didn't love them, so I didn't try them. Then today I looked at the conference snacks posted today, and they had a smoothie, green smoothie recipe, but it looked red so I thought I would try it. And since I am trying to get healthier, I had more motivation. Plus it's so much cheaper to get spinach at Costco but we never go through it all before it goes bad-now we can!

Evan was at costco and picked up strawberries, bananas and spinach, and I had the rest.










WE LOVED IT!!! and will do these often now.

This is how I made mine
2 handfuls of spinach-prewashed from costco
16 strawberries
1 banana
1-2 tablespoons light agave nectar(i love the stuff-costco sells it, I got mine at King soopers on sale)(or you could use juice concentrate)
about 12 ice cubes(i added these after i had blended everything to make it cold
1-2 cups water
1 braeburn apple-I wasn't brave enough to do it with seeds so i cored it

Makes about 5 1/2- 6 cups

Anyway, we LOVE it. I was so nervous but I really like it, and am probably going to do this everyday to help get my veggies for the day:) the blog says they use other berries, pineapple and oranges, etc..so sounds fun:)

I might try putting in flax grounded up tomorrow- This will help me get through my big thing of spinach from costco now:) PS, have people try it before you tell them what is in it so they don't get grossed out by a spinach smoothie.

We have vanilla yogurt I was going to add if it turned out gross but I didn't need it.

Anyway, if you try it, let me know:) Lucy couldn't have it because she is allergic to apples, so her's will have to be without apples.

My cutie pie kiddos(can you see her black eye?)

1 comment:

Rowley Family said...

I make the smoothies all the time. I add spinch and if you add blueberrys it isn't green at all. We love Kefir, strawberry's, mangos, pineapple, blueberry's bananna's. I buy the fruit mix at Sams club. Whatever frozen fruit that we have we use. I love spinich in it.