Monday, November 15, 2010

Nursery, to go or not to go


I have been SUPER BEYOND EXCITED for Lucy to turn 18 months and enter nursery. (we were allowed to go at 16 months with me sitting in with her) From what I hear she does really well. She gets knocked into and all the other toddler stuff but seems to fair pretty well. She has learned to clean up better-like a game, she drinks from a juice box better and shares better. Well, now that she is in nursery she is sick ALL OF THE TIME, which means our family is sick all of the time.

It would be one thing if it didn't spread, but it does. I am sure parents know not to bring sick kids to church, but you never know what germs you are carrying especially if they haven't made themselves known yet.

I feel like I am going inactive. I'm pretty sure we have been to church like 3-4 times in the last few months, not good. I need my spiritual feast each week.

I don't know what to do. Do I stop taking her to nursery, except that means not really getting anything out of Relief Society. I am at the point that I just don't know what to do, and almost feel desperate to Lysol the toys each Sunday myself.

We have ALL had colds numerous times, stomach flu 3 times now, and just blah sickness a lot. Blah. I especially feel bad when Evan has to take off work, or Peter gets sick when he is already having his trials.

When will our immune systems ever do their jobs!

7 comments:

Itty_Bitty_Wittes said...

I bring Purell and give my kids a scrub down before entering that room. I have also purchased Bleach Wipes for the Nursery like a subtle "hint - hint" to the leaders in there.

I pump my kids full of vitamins too because the last thing I want is to have sick kids.

My kids have never been plagued from Nursery germs because I am psycho about keeping them healthy and those around them too.

Tell the leader your concerns and she can resend a note out about runny noses and such. It is sick season so she should get that note out anyway. :)

Jami said...

One thing you may not have considered, that I have to even remind myself of sometimes, is you're building your immunities. You've been sheltered in your home for so long, now you're really exposing yourself to the fun stuff and your bodies are like "Wha?" They'll figure out what to do with all those germs and before you know it, you'll be finer than anything. :) Flu shots can't hurt, either, but I think bringing up that topic is like trying to talk about religion or politics. Anywho. That's my two cents worth. I'm a nursery leader - not all parents obey the law of thou shalt not bring your sickies to church. Also, I see it as going to church will bless you, even in health. :) I'm not a kill all the germs I come in contact with kind of person and for the most part, we're not sick.

MJ said...

I hear ya. I can probably count on one hand the number of times we've been to church in the last 2 months, maybe 3.

I don't take my kids when they're even remotely sick, because I judge other parents who drop their kids off to nursery with yellow snot, so I'm not gonna be a hypocrite in that respect. (Can't promise to not be a hypocrite in other respects, haha).

I'd go with Valerie's suggestion with the bleach wipes, but then you get the leaders who have the kids use THOSE to clean their hands before snacks (true story), lol.

Honestly, though, I think of it like this--there is a time and season for everything, and the Lord knows the intents of our hearts. That counts for something. And we do what we can to keep ourselves spiritually fed--reading scriptures, family prayer, reading church magazines, etc. Sure, we're less active right now, but that's not always going to be the case.

And yes, church is important, but it isn't more important than the health of your family. If you have to switch Sundays and one of you hit up Sacrament meeting every other week, you'll still be blessed for it. It's not ideal, but you're still trying. :)

brook said...

I just left a comment but it disappeared. It pretty much said that my mom was the type to send us to a sick friends house so that we could build our immune system. Saying that sounds pretty messed up but it definitely helped. We rarely get sick. I'm mad that my first comment is gone. It made more sense and made my mom sound less crazy.

Jeff & Marci said...

Our primary president squirts hand sanitzer in every child's hands before the enter the primary room, and nursery does the same. I've heard it's been helping keep the sicknesses down. Good luck - that doesn't sound like fun!

Jami said...

I like Marci's idea, we'll have to start doing that!

Emily said...

We went through the same thing with Andrew and again when he started preschool - I think the only thing you can do is to wash their hands before they touch anything when you get home.